WordSang

WordSang is a forum for the discussion of language, its development, uses, and misuses. The blog is run by freelance writer, editor, and instructor Angie Burgin Kratzer, owner of WordServices in Greensboro, North Carolina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Asheboro, North Carolina, United States

After 22 years of teaching high school English, I am now writing from home.

Friday, March 04, 2005

The P word

Today in one of my English classes, a student said, "Mrs. K, I am so PISSED OFF at my Spanish teacher!" My response, of course, as a bun-headed, sedan-driving English teacher, was, "Try angry, not pissed." Dumbfounded and dazed, she responded with, "There's nothing wrong with that word. My mama uses it." When I tried to explain my need to keep my classroom free of bodily fluids (literal and verbal), she didn't get it. Maybe the read "P" word is Prude, not Piss, but I'm concerned with how easily teens drop the F bomb five feet from a teacher. When confronted with how archaic my thinking is, I usually ask the student, would you say to your rabbi, minister or priest, "That was one _____ good sermon today" ?

3 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

It shouldn't be prudish to expect students not to curse.

I blame the music.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Wardo said...

I don't know. "I am so angry off at my Spanish teacher" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

-A

1:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your page loaded really quick for all the content and images I'm impressed

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home