WordSang

WordSang is a forum for the discussion of language, its development, uses, and misuses. The blog is run by freelance writer, editor, and instructor Angie Burgin Kratzer, owner of WordServices in Greensboro, North Carolina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Asheboro, North Carolina, United States

After 22 years of teaching high school English, I am now writing from home.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Your

I returned recently from several days of sick leave with a combination of the stomach AND the respiratory nasties. On my desk was a precious, stapled card from my students, my AP students who read better than I do, my 10 Honors students who work so hard, and my EC/ESOL inclusion students who truly do the best they know how. The climactic turning of the title page to reveal the sweet words I needed brought more dismay: EVERY student who had written a sentiment related to "Hope you're feeling better" had spelled the contraction YOUR.
AP. Honors students. ESOL students. It didn't matter. Each one had made the error. The card meant just as much as it would have grammatically perfect, but I knew a tiny failure right then. How many times do I have to teach this rule???!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Billy Jones said...

It looks as if you're going to have your hands full. Good luck.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Kratzer,

I was poking around online, fishing for information on standardized testing (for a paper), when I "googled" EOC. I thought there was something strangely familiar about your rhetoric, and when I saw your name stamped in the upper left corner I was surprised, yet unsurprised ('hope that makes sense). I was a terrific slacker in your '03 AP English class. 'Hell of a coincidence, especially from four years and 3000 miles away! I thought cyberspace was too big for this sort of thing. I think I'll start playing the lottery now.

God bless you, and please maintain your influence on our young minds.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home