WordSang

WordSang is a forum for the discussion of language, its development, uses, and misuses. The blog is run by freelance writer, editor, and instructor Angie Burgin Kratzer, owner of WordServices in Greensboro, North Carolina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Asheboro, North Carolina, United States

After 22 years of teaching high school English, I am now writing from home.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Standardized Testing

As North Carolina chooses more and more standardized testing as the way to measure student growth, a few subjects are getting lost along the way. A friend of mine who teaches at an elementary school was reprimanded recently for teaching science and social studies because those subjects are not on the End-of-Grade test. Unfortunately, spelling and grammar are getting lost along the way as well. After all, if we tell a child how to use correct grammar, we are damaging self esteem or being unsympathetic to cultural language development. What matters is the ability to clearly communicate so that people do not judge you based on language. It's sad to think that a brilliant mind is hiding behind language that is being hindered by a number two pencil.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting..

Well this fits in terribly well with our political correctness in not wanting to "harm" anyone.


Remember me??

12:52 PM  
Blogger Andrea :-) said...

Hi, Angie,

I don't know if you will remember me. This is Andrea Chase who taught resource English at Grimsley school years 1999-2001. You were my taller evil twin sister. LOL

I hope all has been well with you. I see you have gone into business for yourself. Way to go! I work in the Alamance-Burlington School System and see we purchased the BLITZ.

I agree about the testing. I teach English I with the EOC and I feel the pressure to cover all goals...breadth rather than depth and forget stopping for those "teachable moments". Ah, well.

Take care and, if you have a chance, drop me a line.

Andrea
andrea_chase@abss.k12.nc.us

8:54 AM  
Anonymous stories taboo said...

Cathline was now touching, stroking andcaressing Johns face, body and breasts, and he was kissing her as well. Listen, I need to work on a cure for this, I said.
gay bear stories
adult theater stories
xxx k9 stories
animal sex stories
sex stories non fiction
Cathline was now touching, stroking andcaressing Johns face, body and breasts, and he was kissing her as well. Listen, I need to work on a cure for this, I said.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home